In a perfect world, we would be able to take our pets everywhere we go! However, traveling with our pets can often be stressful. Here are some tips to ensure your pets stay safe and calm during the ride.
1. Always keep a collar and up-to-date tags on your pets when traveling! Pets can get confused and scared in new environments, so it’s important to always have ID on in case they get lost!
2. If your pet isn’t microchipped, then consider microchipping them before your trip. It may save their life!
3. If your pet gets nervous when riding in cars, secure them with a crate or travel restraints that buckle onto the seat. Keep pets out of the front seat and away from the steering wheel. There have been many wrecks caused by pets!
4. Turn off power windows or engage your car’s child locks, so your dog cannot accidentally roll the window up or down!
5. Bring food, water, toys, and treats! Just like people, pets get bored in the car. Keep them occupied with their favorite toy or stuff a Kong toy with their favorite treat.
6. Never leave your pets alone in the car! They can accidentally lock themselves inside or worse: have heat stroke. Car temperatures can exceed 160 degrees even on a cool day!
Also remember to keep the mood calm in the vehicle while traveling. Rock or pop music may stress your pets. Try playing classical music instead.